When I watched the new House Speaker Mike Johnson deliver his first speech yesterday I was struck by how personable and likable he seemed. He was actually nice, although he made a few too many religious references for my taste. I have nothing against religion per se, but I’m wary of those who overemphasize it. That’s usually cover for very unchristian positions. As I’ve learned more about Johnson since yesterday it’s clear my suspicions are justified.
Trump loves him, which should be a clue. And Matt Gaetz was absolutely ecstatic on Steve Bannon’s War Room podcast, exclaiming that “MAGA is ascendant.” The takeover of the House of Representatives now seems complete. Johnson was elected with a unanimous Republican vote, even the so-called “moderates.”
Just a brief moment Googling yields a wealth of information about just how truly awful this guy is:
- He’s considered the architect of 2020 election denial in the House and efforts to subvert it.
- He favors a national abortion ban.
- He’s advocated sentencing doctors to hard labor for performing abortions.
- He claims same-sex marriage will “doom even the strongest republic.”
- He sponsored a national ‘Don’t Say Gay’ bill in 2016 against “any sexually oriented program, event, or literature for children under the age of 10″ — with no allowance for anything age appropriate.
- He’s sponsored bills against gender-affirming care for minors.
- He’s sponsored a bill to ban mask mandates.
- He’s against federal funding for classroom instruction that addresses racism.
Quoting from one editorial he wrote,
“Homosexual relationships are inherently unnatural and, the studies clearly show, are ultimately harmful and costly for everyone. Society cannot give its stamp of approval to such a dangerous lifestyle. If we change marriage for this tiny, modern minority, we will have to do it for every deviant group. Polygamists, polyamorists, pedophiles, and others will be next in line to claim equal protection. They already are. There will be no legal basis to deny a bisexual the right to marry a partner of each sex, or a person to marry his pet.”
This guy is a dream come true for the bigoted, anti-democracy, pro-autocracy MAGA movement — and he’s practically a heartbeat from the presidency. He’s next in line after Kamala Harris.
Podcaster Brian Tyler Cohen assembled a comprehensive overview of Johnson’s background and positions.
Posted October 26, 2023
Note to Email Subscribers: Thank you for your interest and support! The email notifications you receive omit some elements and others don’t display properly. To see this post as designed and intended, please click on the post title to view it in your web browser.
A Request to my Facebook Friends: If you have a comment I encourage you to enter it below instead of on Facebook. This way everyone can participate in the conversation!
A Request to Everyone: All opinions are welcome. I only ask that we remain civil and respectful of one another.